Willie Hamilton talking about the Ballyarnett Racecourse on 1st September 1987:

The families who lived on the outside of the racecourse were, William McClintock from Steelstown on the road in, Mary McClintock lived on the other side, that was the first two along that side there, then you got, myself, Hamiltons lived on the other side of the Racecourse Road and Mackies and then you went right on up to where Wylie’s farm is now. There used to be people called Wrights lived there. The Barr family were there away back 70 or 80 years ago. It was Jimmy Barr, John Barr, Willie Barr and Paddy Barr and there were 2 sisters. Willie Barr, he was a well-known little man for he used to ride on the course, of course that wasn’t under the rules, the southern different rules of racing, flappin you called it. So then you went right on round and there were a farm you called Steen’s that’s away over near the sandpit there. That was Steen’s farm there they kept cattle there. They had a milk cart there. Then farther up there were 4 little thatched houses there. I’m talking into the 19th century there, that was Bonners lived there, would have built a house there. There were Thompsons lived there and my mother’s people there, Hamiltons and Stevensons lived there. The thatched houses where on the Derry side of the sandpit. Then you have 4 more houses further up there, it used to be McLaughlin lived there, Mickey Sweeney, Mamie McCallion lived there and McGinleys lived there. These houses were known as Rockfield Terrace. Where the McClintocks, who lived on either side of the Steelstown Road, this was known as Mia’s Brae. William McClintock worked in the Pork Stores and then the well-known Mia McClintock, the farmer, a great old man, he lived there. On the other side of the main Racecourse Road the Hamilton’s lived there for well over 60 years, that’s my family, and then you had Mackies, they lived next door to us. Later on Armstrong came to live there, they were the last people lived there. We moved up to Shantallow. Then you went on to Gregg’s farm, Wylie owns it now, Wrights lived there and Barrs lived there way back in the 19th century. Then you went right on round past the Bloomy Lane round to Gallagher’s Road, we used to call it, the Springfield Road, now they call it. That was Steen’s. There was a farm there, they farmed right along there and they drove a milk cart there. There were no houses on the back course, nobody lived along there. Simpson’s Terrace was inside the course. There were only 4 houses there, earlier on that was McFarland’s shop and William King lived there, McFaddens lived there and Seamus Barr lived there and his family, well then there were 2 more houses built in the 1930s, there was Gillespies, the late Dan Gillespie’s father‘s people lived there and McCloskeys. Then Bonners were right down the wee lane there and you had Danny Butler and his father Johnny Butler. He was the caretaker of the course, this was Fee’s Cottages, and you had the Bob Smith’s family, and you had the Stevenson’s family. Then you had the manse and the church.

The church was built in 1848. Reverend McCeary was there when they built the church and he did 50 years there, and Reverend Gregg he came after that and he done 50 years. So then we had Reverend Skelly and then Reverend Beattie and then Reverend Aiken. When Reverend Skelly come there he wasn’t married and he lived up in Robert Gallagher’s place at Springfield, he used to have a bit of rough n’ tumble with the boys playing football, the old Springfield team. There were some rough enough boys but he as just as rough as them. Reverend Grey took over after Reverend Aiken. Prior to the church being built in 1848 there was a wooden church on the other side of the grandstand on the other side of the course up where the trees were, the gazebo they called it. They let Mia McClintock’s two sisters live there. Mia was reared there and all born there. There was a wee temporary thing there. There weren’t many Presbyterians about at the time and they had this wee place just. This was early 19th century.

We had Shantallow School on the Lenamore Road, it was the first school built there a very popular place, a grand old school. Two teachers, a master and a teacher just. Then in later years they built one on the racecourse called the Racecourse National School up what we called the Dairy Lane up into McCorkell’s. It’s now called the Fir Road, apparently McCorkell’s had a dairy built up at the top end of it. Then they changed the name of the school to the Ballyarnett Public Elementary School around about 1921. I was at school from 1917 to 1926 and it was sometime during that time it was changed. The first master of the old Racecourse School was McDonald. He was a long time there, an old gentleman there. He lived just in behind the school there. When he retired it was a Mr Wilson took over, a young man, but he didn’t stay very long. In my time Mr Kilpatrick come there, he teached me, and Miss Porter, I think she come from St Johnston. I remember she used to ride about on a bike. She must have lived about the town somewhere. After that was Miss McKean come there. The pupils were mixed Protestant and Catholic. Shantallow was more so. At the start before Racecourse School was built they all went to Shantallow School, that was the main school then.

The Racecourse itself started away back in the 1770s under the rules of the Irish National Hunt, steeplechase, there was no flat racing then. It was one of the best racecourses in Ireland. It was all turf, but I think it was so far away to travel for all these people in England, that’s what spoilt it mostly you know. Travel was very difficult in the last century, there was only trains in them days, no horse boxes. There were a terrible lot of owners there. You had McCorkells, Watts and Gillilands they were all great horsey people. They even came from Ayrshire in Scotland to race here and our people use to go over there to race. They mostly all stabled over about Steelstown. Miss Clara Burns she kept all the men that worked with the horses, the grooms. Official racing ceased around the end of the 19th century, around about 1900 or a wee while before 1900. It come barren for a good while after and then they started the flappin racing, not under the rules of National Hunt rules. They had rules of their own but not National Hunt rules. As a flappin meeting the races were flat races. You got from 5 furlongs up to maybe 2 and a half miles on the flat. Races were held on Easter Monday. There were 2 days racing in those days. They were very popular at that time. Sometimes they came for 2 days and they stayed the week. The McCorkells had some very well-known horses and the Watts, Graginet and Cigarette, they had some very famous horses. There were some great trainers. You had the Kelly family, Alfie Kelly, young Paddy’s father then Alfie’s father trained on the course. He trained down at Rockfield. He had stables there. He trained for well-known owners round about the place. When the horses started they always rang the bell. It was heard for miles round. It was a lovely great bell. Then Johnny Butler, he was the caretaker of the course, he looked it after well. He was steady looking after it, cutting hedges, any bad places on the course he’d fix it pinned it up with new sods. That bell disappeared but I knew the man that got it alright. He got round with Emma Butler, that’s Johnny’s daughter. Emma Butler had the bell after the racing. This wee man got it. It wasn’t expensive. He took it away to Belfast with him.

It was Mr Tinney took over the racecourse and that was what started the flappin. He bought them 2 fields there and he pinned the 2 fields and put a tin fence round the 2 fields. The flappin went for a long time they were getting terrible big crowds in, but the last race was 1926. There was a terrible heavy wind in 1927, a terrible storm, blew most of the tin all away and that finished the racing there was no more racing after that. The flappin was finished. So Emma Butler she kept the bell for a while after 1927.Then a wee man called Jimmy Burns from Steelstown, he bought the bell from Emma Butler. He bought the bell to put it in Ballyarnett church but the young clergyman he didn’t want it so he took it away to Belfast with him in the 1930s. The clergyman was the Reverend Beattie. He was a very religious wee man. He wanted no bell it wouldn’t be a very good advertisement for the church. Mr Burns was living in Belfast. He took the bell up with him there. He wanted to give it because he belonged to Ballyarnett Church years ago himself. There is no talk about the bell now at all.

The caretaker was Johnnie Butler and he was a wonderful wee man, he wouldn’t let a bird light on it, a goat or a donkey. He never summonsed anybody but he was always after you anyway and we used to play football in it in our bare feet and we didn’t do much harm in our bare feet. He used to cut all the hedges, do all the drains. It was well kept, a beautiful course altogether. It was a pleasure to go round it. We used to run round it there. He wouldn’t say anything about running on it. We used to harrier a couple of times round it. The course is a mile and three quarters, others might have been two miles. It was a nice distance of a course. It was the best going in this country for it was all turf, the real thing for horses’ legs. It was very rare you seen a horse breaking down or anything like that or going lame on it, it was so good. It had a great spring in the turf. It’s just a pity it went the way it did. There should have been a flat racecourse next to it, in the summer time you would have had tons of racing on a flat racecourse. The ground would have been too hard for the jumping racing. There were some permanent fences and you just couldn’t take them down, it would have cost a lot of money.

Tom Deeney speaking:

In the 1960s the course came into use again by as a cross country circuit. It was used by the local cross country club in Derry, the Oakleaf. At that time there were athletes came from all over Ireland to race on the course and around about 1970 I remember going to talk to a Mr Alan Bradshaw who worked for the Monce Partnership they were involved in the Derry Area Plan. At that time he envisaged the course remaining intact, all the development that was going to take place in the Ballyarnett/Shantallow area would leave the course intact. This in fact hasn’t happened, part of the course has been taken away.

Willie Hamilton:

It was one of the biggest tragedies ever happened out round our way, for we had the harriers there, racing there at all times of the year and it was very enjoyable and it was a very great course to race on because there was no injuries on it. The land was good. I don’t know why they made roads through it, for there was a road alongside the course. It was a terrible loss to our people out round this district. The Ballyarnett course was known all over Ireland and parts of England. It was one of the greatest courses. It was a wee-known course. It was there for generations.

When there was racing they came from all arts and parts of Ireland, all round the place, caravans, wagonettes, sidecars, riding on horses even out to it. It was a lovely sight to see. It brought a lot of business and trade, people spent the week here, lovely old place here, Derry. It’s a great place to enjoy yourself, and there’re very friendly people. They could have made tons of money on the course here.

The grandstand was a two storey affair. It was all built with stone and lime. It must have been about 200 yards long. There were all the drinks and refreshments in the bottom and then the owners and all stood up in the top. (Tom D: The land along the 4 or 5 furlongs of the straight was quite well sloped backwards and upwards and would have housed a lot of people and got a very good vantage point to see the racing.) It was a lovely spot. It was all banked up right along there. It was about 3 or 4 fields, they had the right slopes for watching the race. You could see all the race, only one wee part at the church, there were some trees that’s the only wee bit you didn’t see, you lost sight of the horses. It didn’t take long for a horse to come into sight again.

I played a lot of football. We played in Springfield. Mr Robert Gallagher gave us a field every three years. He ploughed them up every 3 years and he always gave us a different field all the time. Some great fields there. We had a field for 3 years and then he ploughed it up and put you into another field. He was a great sportsman, a great gentleman one of the best round the country. In any other place they wouldn’t let you trample on a blade of grass. We played a lot of games in the summer times. We didn’t play in the winter time. He wouldn’t have given you the fields in the winter. We started there from about the 1920s on we played over there to the beginning of the war. We played the Rock there and we played Muff, Culmore, Ture and there was a team down about Bridgend and from the city there was Rosemount. We were called Springfield Rovers. In them days we could nearly field 3 teams. We had a great lot of boys about at that time. I played a lot myself and Phonsie McCallion and Tommy Thompson, that was the 3 goal keepers. Then we had Toaster Duffy and Alla Barrett and we had George Temple, Albert Temple, Jackie McFadden, Paddy Barr, Mosey Bone, and Andy Gilfillan. We had some great players. We done very well in all the competitions we went into. There was a great bit of sport there.

When we were playing football we had no bikes, no motor cars, no nothing. We had to walk to all them places and then you had to rise in the morning for some of us maybe started work a 5 o’clock in the morning but you said to yourself, well I’m not going to play any football the night but you were away the next night as usual. There were some great nights. There was another place we played you’d call Isle Farm. It was the lovely Tom Gamble’s. They used to play there. I didn’t play there because I was too young at the time. That was Herbie Lynch’s farm, he bought it of Tom Gamble. There was another field up at what you called The Sandpit, over at Pennyburn there. That was another good field, there was a lot of good football played there. Then in my young days away back down the Culmore Road that was Lecky’s farm that’s were Kingsfort Park is now. There was some great football played there, some great players playing, marvellous altogether. Then you had Culmore, I played there, Muff, it was all football in them days.

There wasn’t much money prize, nearly always cups and medals you played for. There wasn’t a terrible lot of money about but we enjoyed the game. We played for nothing and we enjoyed it. We played the game for a bit of craic and we enjoyed the game.

Amelia Earhart’s Landing in Derry:

There were more talk about that. There were thousands seen it and there weren’t hardly any of them there when she did land. There were only 3 people there when she did land that afternoon and I was one of them, for I was working in Commander Gilliland’s field just in the back of the ditch. I was scaling manure for turnips and cabbage that’s the time of the year for turnips and cabbage, the potatoes are all in. So I was there doing this manure this plane went round, I think she went round 3 or 4 times round the place, she followed the water up, right up into the town right in round Springtown there and in round by Beragh Hill, way back, the back of the hill there. She went round there about 3 times and then she came up over Sir Dudley McCorkell’s place, up into the big field she just came down at the bottom of the field right up and when she landed up at the top she come out and there were only the 3 of us there and I was there, the late Hughie McLaughlin and his wife. She was a few minutes in the plane, I was afraid of my life. I’d never seen a plane in my life and she came over and Hughie was lying over the hedge at the front of the door thondor, him and the wife, and she came over and she said, “My good man, where would I be? What part of the country am I in?” He said, “This is Springfield, the townland of Springfield, Cornshell”, she said “Well where’s the nearest town now?” “Ah” Hughie says, “Derry’s the nearest town a little over 3 mile from here”. She says then, “Where would I get a telephone?” Hughie says, “Mr Gallagher the farmer there, Robert Gallagher has one”. So a while after that the Gallagher family did come up. As far as I know the telephone was out of order and Mr Gallagher took her into the General Post Office and got her business done, phone calls and telegrams and the she came out and stopped the night. He gave her a bed for the night or maybe 2 nights. She didn’t know where she was when she landed. She asked what bit of the country is it? Where am I anyway? So Hughie told her alright, where she was and all, he told her it was Ireland, Londonderry, Derry. Within about an hour anyway there were hundreds there, they come over hedges, ditches, whatnot, all roads. They come in from all parts the place was packed in no time. It was a great thing altogether. She was in this flying gear, you know what they wear, she was very hot, the plane was desperate with the heat, she was a long time in it. When she came out, well poor Hughie, she asked Hughie and Hughie said, “Well me bol’ fella you’re in Derry here”. Hughie didn’t know and I didn’t know whether she was a man or a woman either when I looked at her. I thought it was a man you know, with the gear and all that, to I heard her speaking and all that, but she got Hughie unawares, he says “Ah me bol’ fella you’re in Cornshell”. There were planes coming from England and all around and I think there was some from America too nearly who flew over here. It was great news, a great thing altogether, somebody landing in such a small place here. It was marvellous altogether you know. The Sunday was desperate altogether. The place was packed with people, they come from all round, they must have come from Belfast and all round, cars and flying here. There were 5 or 6 planes in the field at the finish up, I seen it on the Sunday when I was up round that way to see it. It was worth seeing. There were photographs taken all over the place. I never seen as many cameras in my life. There were cameras there, I thought the people had no cameras. They were snapping and they were showing them photos for years after, Miss Earhart landing at Cornshell. There must be a terrible amount of these photos about yet, if people had a look round there would still be hundreds of them about yet that hasn’t been shown and the real thing too for they showed a lot of the locals. I knew a terrible lot of them I seen. I don’t think anybody had a camera when she first arrived, people coming in the cars mostly had the cameras I think. The ordinary 5:8 didn’t have many cameras in them days, it was the people arriving in cars the next day had the cameras. I never seen anything like the next day, the Sunday for cameras clicking all round the place I thought I was going to be shot a whole lot of the time, the clicks of these cameras. I never seen as many cameras in my life. This was 1932 around about May time in the spring of the year. A lovely time of the year, lovely weather, it was beautiful.

Discussing the landing in Derry of General Balbo:

It was a wonderful time that. There were 6 planes came with General Balbo. He was an Italian. He came to the town and it was big nights and big dos after it. He landed just outside Culmore. There were 6 planes came in there, seaplanes. That was a great do altogether. A very nice man, a man with a wee goatee. They nearly all had goatees, all the pilots, very nice people. Everybody was so pleased to see them.

The McCauleys owned the Isle Farm, Dickie McCauley and the old man was James McCauley. He owned a pub there, not many of the locals round there knew there was a pub there. It was a great place, when it came to the races they stayed the week and had a good drink, had a good time. Then the McCauleys they had a daughter, Becky, the old lady was Becky and so the mother was Becky and the daughter was Becky, they had only the one daughter. She married William Brown, he come from Lenamore. There were some great nights and days about the Isle Farm pub. Mrs McCauley, she was Wylie. She was a Miss Wylie before she was married, they owned the Rock Bar way out at Lenamore. He was Tom Wylie you called him, they owned that pub out there, that’s McIvor’s now. The Downey’s had it a wee while after that. I don’t know whether they owned it or had a lease on it and then McIvor bought it then. McCauley’s pub was a great place, a well-known place, they done a great trade for they caught all the Donegal people coming into the town. You’d see all the churns coming in with the buttermilk and the eggs and all that sort of stuff. There was corn and some brought hay and straw. There was great business from Donegal in them days. Donegal were great friends with the old Derry people on the markets. When they came into the markets they could stay to the next day! They didn’t go home that day! When they came in with the corn there to Victoria Market, that’s where the buses is now, that’s where the corn market was and then over in Foyle Street you had a butter market. All the farmers came in there with their butter and eggs and corn, and then you had the cattle market over the Lecky Road there. There was a great business people there. The turf men come in, the turf men come from Carn. You’d see a line of them coming up there about 10 or 11 horses and certain groups coming from Carn with the turf had fir. They used to sell fir, for lighting the fires. People used to buy their fir for lighting their fires, then at night we used to always watch them going out home. There was one man, he didn’t drink nor he didn’t sleep, he was the lead horse, and the rest of the horses all followed him, for the rest was all sleeping, and if they weren’t sleeping they were singing!

Tom Deeney asked about music in McCauley’s pub:

It was mostly the fiddle and maybe the melodian or something like that, none of this high-brow stuff, and they were dancing to the morning. Some of them fell into wells, into manure heaps and middens, it was powerful altogether. The pub packed up coming into the 20th century. It was a great place altogether.

Tom Deeney asks about the part of the racecourse where it was crossed by the Racecourse Road, and the road had to be covered with turf or clay when racing was taking place and who looked after that job?

A Scotch man Callaghan, he worked for Mr Tinney, he covered all the, there use to be piles of clay left there for the job and if there weren’t enough there they carted more there and they levelled up to the same level as the course, when the horses galloped over they didn’t abuse themselves on the hard road or anything. You had a lot of roads there you had, the Racecourse Road, and then you had Steelestown, you had Gallagher’s Road, across from there, and then you had Broomy Lane and the Racecourse Road again and then the Dairy Lane, now called the Fir Road. That had to be all done there, they were at that maybe for a week before getting it built up. The traffic didn’t do it much harm for if they put it on a wee bit early they came over and spread over the soft stuff again. There were no cars then at all, it was all horse and carts and traps and all that sort of thing in them days.

Tom Deeney asked about a man who did this job who was fond of the drink:

There was a wee man, he married a wee woman they called Anne Coyle, they lived in the Shamrock Row. They had a wee shop in the Shamrock Row. She used to do a lot of washing for these big people, the well-to-do folk and he never worked this big man, but he always went for a drink maybe onest a week, poor wee Anne had to give him some of her hard earnings and he got that drunk. He was a man of about 18 stone, and how they got him home they got him into a big barrow and they wheeled him down and just left him at the door. Anne Coyle always had 2 lodgers, one of the men you called Callaghan, he was a Scots fella, he never went back to Scotland, and another wee man you called Johnnie something, I don’t know what you called him. This man Callaghan, the father took the contract for doing the roads, he was a son he done the work there. Then there were chains across the course at each side of the road to close the course off. There were 3 posts and there were chains on them, there was a wee place you could walk passed at the side. This wee man Johnnie Butler he used to come along with his tar in this wee tin and a brush, he use to tar all the chains right the whole way round and then the people around used to go out and swing on the chains and there was a terrible “How d’you do?” about these wains getting all tar. It destroyed all their clothes. Clothes were very hard to get in them days. Johnnie didn’t want anything wrecked, it was to keep them from swinging on it for it loosened the posts. Johnnie Spawl was his nickname a wonderful wee man, and the wee daughter was great wee Emmy, she had a wee shop down at Fee’s Cottages. She never sold a lot of stuff, she had 3 or 4 loaves of bread and a few wee packets of blue, the Brandy Balls and Liquorice Allsorts, that’s about all she sold. A very nice wee woman.

Tom Deeney asked about other shops:

You had McFarland’s, Patrick McFarland, it was in Simpson’s Terrace and then you had Katie Quigley, Bob Quigley & Katie Quigley they had a shop, they sold everything, that was up above Kelly’s Lane opposite where Drumleck Drive is now. She kept a lot of ducks. She sold coal. They were coal people. They sold paraffin oil, pink paraffin. Poor wee Katie, that was the mother, she used to chew away at rice. She always had a mouthful of rice when you went up there she was scooting rice everywhere. She kept a lot of cats, hens, ducks. There were more ducks and hens killed on the road then than any other place. Tom Galbraith him and Sir Dudley McCorkell had cars. Tom Galbraith he run over more ducks and hens than enough. He was a speed king in them days, Tom Galbraith.

Then Daly’s had a pub and a groceries shop. The pub was on one side of the house and the groceries was on the other. Daly’s pub is now Barrett’s pub, that is, John Daly’s daughter married Barrett and then you had Johnnie Boyce’s up in Bogstown up where the chapel is there now, a nice wee shop up there and there used to be a McGinley’s there where Sandbank is there. There was a wee shop there for a long time. Then you had Jim Kelly’s up the Erskine’s Lane there. They had a shop there and Heaney’s, Jimmy Heaney had a shop there in Sandbank as well. Then there used to be a shop in Steelstown, young Burns had it Jim Burns had a shop there.

Ton Deeney talks about the shop with Barrett’s pub being O’Hanlon’s then McCloskey’s, also the pub was expanded under the ownership of Aidan Barrett.

Old Mr Daly was a very strict old boy. Then you had the Collins, they had a pub. Old Mr Collins was a very, very strict man. You’d come in there and maybe you had a drink or two in you and he wouldn’t give you anymore. This was the pub that’s called The Collon Bar now and that was the old man. I remember, there were a wee man they called Bob Horner, him and wee Johnnie the brother lived down at the Collon there, Bob lived up the road there. He used to go in with the cattle on a Wednesday, Mr Glass used to let him a day off, they used to take these cattle in, so this Wednesday was very, very wet and wee Bob and Johnnie had a drink or two when they were in. Johnnie and him came out and they went into to Mr Collins, wee Johnnie went in alright but Bob, he tripped on the mat going in, and he says, “No Bob gone you home, you have had enough”, and that was the day Bob had no drink at all! He had a whole row with him, “Ah you’ll get no more drink here!” Sometimes, Collins, if you were a regular and went in for a wein of drinks he’d say now, “Gone you home now, you were working, give the wife her money, you can come back again.” Them boys he told to go out they went down to Daly’s and he let them in any time whether drunk or sober.

Tom Deeney: Collin’s pub is now owned by Edward Diggins was also managed in recent times by a different Daly. Barratt’s pub in Shantallow was at one time John Daly’s and Collin’s pub now owned by Diggins was managed by Daly.

Still the same families, married into one another.

Talking about a business man on the Lenamore Road called Freddie Neilly:

Freddie had a wee shop one time, but he was a great shoe-maker, he made shoes for people, them big rough boots, there were no wellingtons in them days. He made the course boot, hob-nails. Oh he was a great wee shoe-maker, he made all, for all them farmers out round the free state. Wonderful wee man. He lived out passed Sandbank Cottages and he used to have a wee shop, and there used to be a wee man come and he wanted “2 loaves of bread”, 2 spools of thread? He had a wee bit of a lisp and he didn’t know what he was talking about and it was 2 loaves the man wanted, he thought it was 2 spools of thread!

Talking about the blacksmith’s forge on the Lenamore Road:

The Campbells had the one there at Neilly’s, that was the first place Temple come to, well he served his time down in Keenan’s Corner, he was a man trained all blacksmiths. Keenan’s Corner was down in Pennyburn where that roundabout is now, them 3 houses there. I think it were only the one house the rest was forges. The burning they did, big ground where they hooped the wheels and all there. He never done any work, he always wore a bowler hat, walked about like a wee gentleman telling them what to do. He trained some great blacksmiths. Even the Temples served their time, the old late Johnnie Temple, his old father, all them Temples. The blacksmith himself was called Keenan, that’s how the corner got its name. Temple worked with the old blacksmith, that was old Johnnie, the wee man, big white beard. Sometimes he done a bit of work when he was an old man, when he was working at the anvil he put the beard under the waistcoat for maybe he’d would burn the beard.

Temple he was in Freddie Neilly’s place, and then he went up into Gregg’s farm where Wylie’s is there now, he went up in there and then they came down to the bottom of the Lenamore Road. That was 3 changes they had. Then when all the old people died Willie and George, they went up to Fern Terrace, in at the back there, there was a big shed up in there belonging to Andy Tate from the Free State. He owned that place and them houses. Well then they had to get out of there and they went away down to the wee place down there at Broomy Lane, at the racecourse. Smiths used to live there, they were all reared there all the Smiths people, and then Dan Gillespie lived there, and then when the houses were closed up and they made it into a forge. It’s still a forge there yet, taken at the present time by Mr Harkin, but McCorkell owns that. Then there’s a very old blacksmith’s shop was up at Gilfillan’s forge, Gilfillan’s ridge up the Lenamore Road, at the crossroads, where James Elkin lived, there were a blacksmith’s shop there.